top of page
  • Writer's picturepac

Day 41 - Decisions

Thu 26th Oct., Lubian back to Puebla de Sanabria, ~30 klms, by taxi


The rain pelted down nearly all night, and showed no sign of easing by 10:30 when we had returned to Bar Javi to organise and wait for the taxi to bring us back here. Here's a taste:




So on the strength of the above we've made the right call.


Just before we reached Bar Javi we turned a corner to see Juan David from Columbia. We'd first met Juan a few days back at Granja de Moreruela - it's actually only 6 days but it seems much longer than that. His English is good enough for us to have a rudimentary chat, and only yesterday when we again bumped into each other at the freezing and windswept Padornelo we "met" his wife back home by video call. Juan is one of the world's most decent human beings, and I was delighted to see him this morning, even though my heart was heavy. We told him that we were turning back. We'd previously swapped WhatsApp numbers, and if the stars align we may well see him again.


Which brings me to now. Sometimes in life one has to make a "least bad" decision. Yesterday’s to reverse course is one of those. Going on wasn't a truly viable option. Returning doesn't feel good. Lose-lose. As an aside, another peregina we'd first met way back in Salamanca said on the blog this morning:


Hi Peter and Janet!

What a bummer! But you made the right call. I just managed to make it to A Gudina yesterday afternoon, wet and miserable. Now holed up in the albergue, considering options. Definitely not walking today. Way too dangerous in this alpine terrain. Howling winds and incessant bucketloads of rain. There's no point. It is disappointing indeed. Take care, xxx


[A Gudina is one day ahead of us, and where we would have been tonight had circumstances been different.]


Our choices over coming days will be:


  1. get to Ourense on 31st October and return to the walk. That will simply have meant that we have taken a one week hiatus, and we'll be back on track. I truly hope this is the way it pans out

  2. Pull the pin altogether, go to Santiago to collect the luggage we have there and head home (timings of that option tbd), and if that's the choice,

  3. maybe come back another time and start once again from Puebla to do the last ~250 klms. Maybe ...


I'm going to go offline for a few days now. Before I do, here's a few shots from around Puebla de Sanabria this afternoon (and a couple from this evening). It's a pretty town.










To conclude, a rainbow selfie.



Chat again in a few days ...

208 views14 comments

Recent Posts

See All

90 Days

20 days

14 Comments


Danielle Beckwith
Danielle Beckwith
Nov 02, 2023

Well I can say what a magnificent town to have to be stuck at !!

Like

Guest
Oct 28, 2023

Greetings Jan and Peter, I’ve spent a very absorbing hour reading and processing the last few entries of the blog, (I read them in batches of four or five at a time). I’ve also really enjoyed the photographs. the weather gods seem to be at their implacable worst - you’ve certainly painted a very visualisable picture of the conditions.

I hope that you’re able to negotiate the most favourable option, and I’m looking forward to seeing how things turn out. Much love, Filippo

Like

Tania Herbert
Tania Herbert
Oct 28, 2023

Whilst at the crossroad of decisions you still manage to capture beautiful photos! What a magnificent rainbow San 🌈 I hope Option #1 for you both 🙏 🚶🚶🏻‍♀️

Like

Guest
Oct 27, 2023

Hello Peter and Janet,

I know perfectly how you must feel, last week I had to stop the Camino Sanabrés in Tábara, have tendonitis in the knee. José Almeida, the hospitalero, offered me to stay as long as I wished but I ended up going back home to get fully well and start again in May maybe.

I hope you can take option one, a selfish hope, I really enjoyed reading your blog every day. Love Lise

I

Like

Sandra Wolf
Sandra Wolf
Oct 27, 2023

I hope you take option #1 Do you have time or are your flights back pre-booked on a set date? But its easy for me to say sitting in the comfort of home! You two have made a great effort I don't know how I would fair but I'll find out next April 24. Look forward to your next post to see what you decide on doing. All our good vibes for you two.

Bill & Sandra

Like
pac
pac
Oct 27, 2023
Replying to

Thanks folks - Option 1 is my clear preference. We'll see in a few days. Thanks for your good wishes and support

Like
bottom of page